Frequently Asked Questions
What if it rains/snows?
We build in all types of weather all year long! We will do everything possible to relocate you to an indoor task in bad weather, but this may not always be possible, so please dress appropriately!
Where should we meet?
Volunteers should meet at the Operations Center at 1542 Barnum Avenue, Bridgeport, CT by 8:30 at the latest. The volunteer entrance is the door furthest to the left on the building. The workday is 8:30-3:30/4:00.
What time should we meet/how will the day go?
· Volunteers begin arriving at the warehouse around 8:15 to sign-in and make nametags, complete any paperwork and to help load the trucks if necessary. Our Opening in Bridgeport will begin at 8:30 and then everyone will be dispersed to the site immediately following the Opening. It is important that everyone is present for the opening/safety talk—our insurance requires this.
· Volunteers walk or drive their vehicles to the construction sites. We have limited parking at the Operations Center.
· Lunch is around 12:00 and is usually about ½ an hour. It is the responsibility of the group or individual volunteer to make lunch arrangements.
· The day normally ends about 3:30/4:00—PLEASE HELP CLEAN UP THE SITE AND PUT MATERIALS AND TOOLS BACK ON THE TRUCK BEFORE LEAVING.
What will I be doing?
· Tasks you can anticipate doing: painting, siding, rough framing; trim work, landscaping, fencing.
· Please note that we work with individuals of all or no skills levels.
· We have professional project managers who are patient, nurturing and willing to teach.
· There is a task for EVERYONE regardless of your ability! You can do more than you think.
How should I dress?
· Dress as stated earlier—for the weather! Also, wear clothes that you do not care too much about. Because this is construction, clothes can get dirty, painted or otherwise ruined.
· SUNSCREEN, even in the winter!
· Wear hard, thick soled shoes—work boots are best! NO OPEN-TOED SHOES!!!
What should I bring?
· IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT YOU BRING TOOLS, HOWEVER, if you have them you may bring your own. If you do bring tools, please label everything with your name and take them home with you when you leave!
· BEST THINGS TO HAVE/WEAR:
Pencil and Sharpie